Holiday Morning French Toast
- CKD non-dialysis
3” x 4” piece
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 large tart apples
- 1/2 cup dried, sweetened cranberries
- 1 pound loaf Italian bread
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups rice milk, unenriched
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Peel, core and thinly slice or chop apples.
- In a 13” x 9” baking dish, combine brown sugar, melted butter and one teaspoon of the cinnamon. Add apples and cranberries; toss well to coat.
Spread apple mixture evenly over bottom of the baking dish.
Cut bread into 3/4” slices and arrange on top of apples.
- Mix eggs, rice milk, vanilla and remaining 2 teaspoons cinnamon until well blended. Pour mixture over bread, soaking bread completely. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes. Uncover dish and bake 15 minutes or until top starts to brown.
- Remove dish from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into 9 servings.
Serve warm. Dust top with powdered sugar before serving.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 432
- Protein 9 g
- Carbohydrates 63 g
- Fat 16 g
- Cholesterol 151 mg
- Sodium 380 mg
- Potassium 210 mg
- Phosphorus 136 mg
- Calcium 93 mg
- Fiber 3.1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
1 fruit, low potassium
1-1/2 high calorie
- 3 large apples yields approximately 4-1/2 cups. Cut into chunks instead of slices if preferred.
- Cut into smaller 1-1/2” x 2” portions for lower calories and carbohydrates.
- Use French bread instead of Italian and trim crust from bread if desired.