Multigrain Hot Cereal
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons old fashioned grits, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon bulgur, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon roasted whole buckwheat, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon steel-cut oats, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons plain couscous, uncooked
- Boil water in a 1-1/2 quart covered pot.
- Add grits; stir briefly.
- Add bulgur, buckwheat, and oats; stir briefly.
- Reduce heat to a vigorous simmer; liberally spray nonstick cooking spray on simmering surface.
- Cover pot; simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove pot from burner; stir in couscous.
- Let pot stand covered for 8 minutes, then serve.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 150
- Protein 5 g
- Carbohydrates 30 g
- Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 7 mg
- Potassium 87 mg
- Phosphorus 91 mg
- Calcium 15 mg
- Fiber 3.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- If desired, drizzle with honey or your favorite sweetener. Add unsalted margarine or butter, blueberries or dried cranberries before serving.
- Makes a thick cereal. Thin by adding water or milk substitute in 1/2 ounce increments.
- Refrigerate extra serving and reheat in the microwave for 30-60 seconds for a quick breakfast.
- You can buy smaller amounts of grains if you shop at a market that offers grains in bulk containers. Find a variety of grain products at supermarkets, natural food stores and on the internet at www.bobsredmill.com, www.quakergrits.com, www.thebirkettmills.com..