Mushroom & Red Pepper Omelet
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 cup raw mushroom pieces
- 2 tablespoons onion
- 1/4 cup canned sweet red peppers
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dice mushrooms, onion and red peppers.
- Melt 1 teaspoon butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion; sauté 5 minutes until onion is tender. Stir in diced red pepper. Remove vegetables from skillet and set aside.
Melt 1 teaspoon butter or margarine in the skillet. Beat eggs, add Worcestershire sauce and cook over medium heat.
- When eggs are partially cooked, top with vegetable mixture. Place dollops of whipped cream cheese over vegetables. Continue cooking until eggs are set.
- Remove from heat and fold omelet in half. Sprinkle with pepper. Divide into two portions and serve.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 199
- Protein 11 g
- Carbohydrates 4 g
- Fat 15 g
- Cholesterol 341 mg
- Sodium 276 mg
- Potassium 228 mg
- Phosphorus 167 mg
- Calcium 55 mg
- Fiber 0.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 2 fat
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- Sautéed onion will appear transparent but not brown when cooked.
- Compare sodium content on bottled or canned red peppers.
- Cook the omelet evenly by shaking the pan and gently lifting edges to allow uncooked egg to run underneath cooked egg.
- Reduce fat and cholesterol by using nonstick cooking spray or a nonstick skillet, trans-fat free margarine instead of butter and liquid low cholesterol egg substitute instead of whole eggs.