No Fuss Microwave Egg White French Toast
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 slice bread
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free syrup
- Spread butter over bread or English muffin. Cut into cubes.
- Place buttered bread cubes in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Pour egg whites over bread to cover.
- Sprinkle syrup on top.
- Microwave for 1 minute; push up edges of egg white to let uncooked egg out to edges.
- Microwave another minute or until egg is set.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 200
- Protein 15 g
- Carbohydrates 24 g
- Fat 5 g
- Cholesterol 11 mg
- Sodium 415 mg
- Potassium 235 mg
- Phosphorus 54 mg
- Calcium 50 mg
- Fiber 0.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 starch
- 1/2 high calorie
- Serve warm as French toast or chill and eat as bread pudding.
- Egg whites provide excellent quality protein with minimal phosphorus or fat.
- If desired substitute 2 whole eggs, beaten for 1/2-cup egg white. This change will increase nutrients to 288 calories, 15 g fat, 434 mg cholesterol and 226 mg phosphorus; sodium is reduced to 353 mg.
- If desired, substitute natural maple syrup or cinnamon sugar for lite or sugar-free syrup.
- This recipe works well with an English muffin half instead of a slice of bread.