- CKD non-dialysis
9 pancakes (about 18 medium-sized pancakes)
2 medium-sized pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Make sour milk: add 1 tablespoon vinegar to 2 cups milk. Let sit for about 5 minutes until soured.
- Sift flour; add baking soda, salt and sugar.
Beat eggs with mixer until fluffy. Combine with “sour” milk and oil.
- Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Cook on a hot griddle or heated frying pan, greased with nonstick cooking spray until bubbly. Turn only once for fluffy, light pancakes.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 173
- Protein 6 g
- Carbohydrates 25 g
- Fat 5 g
- Cholesterol 39 mg
- Sodium 258 mg
- Potassium 127 mg
- Phosphorus 102 mg
- Calcium 76 mg
- Fiber 0.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1/2 milk
- 1/2 salt
- Sour milk is used instead of buttermilk, which is higher in sodium.
- The griddle must be hot. It is hot enough if a drop of batter sizzles.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter for medium-sized pancake.
- As soon as bubbles form, flip over.
- This recipe is easy to cut in half. Leftover batter can be stored in sealed container for several days in refrigerator.