- CKD non-dialysis
2 small squares or 1/2 large square
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 envelopes dry active yeast
- 2 cups Rice Dream® original non-dairy rice drink, unenriched
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- In a large mixing bowl, place the water and yeast and stir to dissolve. Let stand 5 minutes.
Add the Rice Dream®, oil, salt and sugar.
- Beat in the flour, cornmeal and eggs to mix, but do not over beat.
- Set the mixture in a warm place until mixture just begins to rise, about 15 minutes.
- Cook in a pre-heated waffle iron.
- Divide cooked waffle into 2-square portions (1/2 large waffle) and top with your favorite syrup, fruit spread or fresh fruit.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 222
- Protein 5 g
- Carbohydrates 30 g
- Fat 9 g
- Cholesterol 53 mg
- Sodium 78 mg
- Potassium 109 mg
- Phosphorus 96 mg
- Calcium 13 mg
- Fiber 1.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- For those with diabetes, top with a sugar free syrup or fruit spread.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour may be substituted for 1/2 cup white flour. Waffles are higher in fiber (2.3 g for 2 small squares), potassium 130 mg, phosphorus 119 mg.