The Spicy Frittata
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups zucchini, thinly sliced
- t2 tablespoons canned green chilies, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Beat together eggs, egg whites, turmeric, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon broth in a 10” or 12” stainless steel skillet.
Add onion, garlic, zucchini and green chilies. Sauté for about three minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomato and cilantro.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables. Turn heat to low, cover and cook for about 10 minutes, checking periodically to see if eggs are firm.
- When done, run a rubber spatula around edge of frittata, cut into four wedges and serve.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 87
- Protein 8 g
- Carbohydrates 7 g
- Fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 106 mg
- Sodium 256 mg
- Potassium 360 mg
- Phosphorus 96 mg
- Calcium 38 mg
- Fiber 2.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1-1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- Use a pan no more than 12” in diameter, otherwise vegetables get too spread out and will overcook.
- Have ingredients ready before cooking, otherwise, the zucchini will overcook, release water and dilute the flavor.
- Check the firmness of eggs after 5 to 6 minutes to make sure they cook to perfection. Eggs won't be very fluffy because of using more egg whites than yolks, but it helps to beat them well right before pouring over vegetables.