Valentine’s Breakfast Eggs
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 corn tortilla 6” size
- 2 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 slices of tomato, each slice 1/4” thick, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Place corn tortilla in the microwave for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.
Crush tortilla into pieces, the size of chips.
Combine eggs and egg whites; scramble soft and set aside.
- Put oil in a pan on medium heat and when hot, add onions and sauté 1 minute.
- Add tortilla, tomato and eggs.
- Stir until eggs are done. Serve hot and enjoy.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 251
- Protein 11 g
- Carbohydrates 9 g
- Fat 19 g
- Cholesterol 165 mg
- Sodium 115 mg
- Potassium 222 mg
- Phosphorus 147 mg
- Calcium 64 mg
- Fiber 1.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1/2 starch
- 2 fat
- Each microwave gives different cooking times, but you will know the corn tortilla is done when it smells like popcorn cooking.
- Use 6 unsalted corn tortilla chips as a short cut.
- Corn tortillas are high in phosphorus compared to flour tortillas or white bread. Limit corn tortillas to help reduce phosphorus, especially if your lab values have been higher than the normal range.