- CKD non-dialysis
- 7 slices sourdough bread, 1/2” thick
- 1 tablespoon unsalted margarine
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup raw mushrooms
- 1 cup red bell peppers
- 15 fresh spinach leaves
- 7 large eggs
- 1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
- 1-3/4 cup liquid nondairy creamer
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco® hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ounce shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cut bread into cubes. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 225° F for 15 minutes. Turn cubes over and continue baking 15 minutes or until dry and crisp.
- Dice onion, mushrooms and bell peppers.
- Melt margarine in a small skillet and sauté onion, mushrooms and red peppers.
- Grease a 9” square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange half of the bread cubes in a single layer in the dish and sprinkle with half of the vegetable mixture. Arrange spinach leaves on top.
- Form a second layer with remaining bread and vegetables on top.
- Whisk together eggs, vinegar, nondairy creamer, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and black pepper. Pour evenly over the bread.
- Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Allow strata to stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 325° F. Remove plastic wrap and bake 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top. Cook additional 10 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cut into 9 servings and serve hot.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 215
- Protein 9 g
- Carbohydrates 20 g
- Fat 11 g
- Cholesterol 168 mg
- Sodium 245 mg
- Potassium 215 mg
- Phosphorus 150 mg
- Calcium 66 mg
- Fiber 1.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 starch
- 1 fat
- Save time by cooking onion and mushrooms with margarine in the microwave instead of on the stovetop.
- For a low-cholesterol diet, use 1-3/4 cups low-cholesterol egg product instead of eggs.
- Look for a rustic-style artisan white bread or a sourdough round loaf. Slice 1/2 inch thick.