Cabbage Rolls made with Turkey
- CKD non-dialysis
2 cabbage rolls
- 12 cabbage leaves
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (divided use)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1-1/4 cup water (divided use)
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Carefully remove 12 cabbage leaves from a whole cabbage and wash them.
Boil a large pot of water. Add cabbage leaves and cook for 2 minutes to soften. Drain and set leaves aside.
In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, rice, onion, eggs, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, basil, parsley and 1/4 cup water.
Place 1/4 cup of the turkey mixture on the cabbage leaf and fold sides of leaf over turkey mixture.
Place rolls close together, seam side down in a baking dish.
Combine tomato paste, lemon juice, 1 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and sugar to make a sauce. Top cabbage rolls with sauce. Cover and bake at 375° F for 1-1/2 hour. Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 219
- Protein 17 g
- Carbohydrates 26 g
- Fat 6 g
- Cholesterol 96 mg
- Sodium 112 mg
- Potassium 581 mg
- Phosphorus 190 mg
- Calcium 80 mg
- Fiber 3.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 vegetables, medium potassium
- 1 high calorie
- Cabbage rolls can be cooked in a slow cooker on low setting for 6 to 8 hours instead of baked in the oven.
- If you are following a low-potassium diet, be aware 2 cabbage rolls are equal to 2 vegetable servings. Consuming extra servings of fruits or vegetables can cause high potassium levels.