Chicken and Apple Curry
one chicken breast with sauce
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup rice milk, unenriched
Preheat oven to 350°.
Arrange chicken breasts in a single layer in a 9” x 13” (or larger) baking dish, adding pepper to taste. Set aside.
In a saucepan, sauté apple, onion and garlic in butter over a medium heat until tender.
Add curry powder and basil; mix well, and sauté for another minute.
Stir in the flour, and continue to cook one minute longer.
Add chicken broth and rice milk, stirring well. Remove from heat.
Pour sauce mixture over chicken breasts, and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until chicken is done.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 232
- Protein 29 g
- Carbohydrates 11 g
- Fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 85 mg
- Sodium 118 mg
- Potassium 323 mg
- Phosphorus 225 mg
- Calcium 34 mg
- Fiber 1.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 4 meat
- 1/2 starch
- 1/4 fruit, low potassium
- Monica recommends Swanson’s® low-sodium chicken broth. By definition, low sodium broth contains no more than 140 mg sodium per cup.
- To prevent spills in the oven, you can cover the chicken before baking.
- Chicken and Apple Curry is great with steamed white rice.
- This is a high protein meal. If you are on a lower protein diet, adjust the portion according to your meal plan.