Chicken Lo Mein
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces lo mein noodles
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1-1/2 cups carrots, diagonally sliced
- 1 cup celery, diagonally sliced
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1 cup raw mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
Cook lo mein noodles according to package omitting salt. Drain and set aside.
Thinly slice chicken breasts.
Heat olive oil in a wok or big, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
Add onions, carrots and celery. Stir-fry gently until vegetables are cooked but still crunchy, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Add mushrooms and noodles, and stir constantly until hot.
Add soy sauce, stir and serve.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 356
- Protein 27 g
- Carbohydrates 44 g
- Fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 56 mg
- Sodium 353 mg
- Potassium 542 mg
- Phosphorus 253 mg
- Calcium 46 mg
- Fiber 3.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2-1/2 starch
- 2 vegetables, low and medium potassium
- Linguine or fettuccine can be used instead of lo mein noodles. The nutrient composition is very similar.
- Replace chicken with thin slices of beef for variety.
- Use leftover grilled chicken or beef from a cookout the day before. In step #3, reduce cooking time to 1 to 2 minutes.