- CKD non-dialysis
- 1-1/2 pound chicken breasts, bone in, with skin
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine, melted
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 2 packages Pillsbury Crescent Original® rolls
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Cook, drain, and chop broccoli.
Boil chicken breasts until cooked; drain, remove skin and bones and dice into pieces.
Mix together chicken, softened cream cheese, margarine and broccoli.
Open crescent rolls and form a rectangle with 2 rolls. Pinch seam to seal and stretch rectangle.
Place 1/8 of chicken mixture in center; wrap dough around chicken mixture and twist to seal, or fold edges across to make a turnover.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until rolls are browned.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 384
- Protein 18 g
- Carbohydrates 24 g
- Fat 24 g
- Cholesterol 56 mg
- Sodium 539 mg
- Potassium 224 mg
- Phosphorus 176 mg
- Calcium 31 mg
- Fiber 0.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 2-1/2 fat
- Take a look at Chicken Squares as they are baking in oven periodically to make sure they don’t get too brown.
- This is a higher sodium entrée. To keep sodium in check, complete the meal with low-sodium items such as salad, low-sodium dressing and fruit.
- The chicken bones and skin add extra flavor during cooking. Fourteen ounces of boneless, skinless chicken breasts may be substituted for bone-in breasts if desired.
- Freeze or refrigerate broth from boiling the chicken for later use in a recipe that calls for low-sodium chicken broth.
- If fat-free cream cheese is substituted, fat is reduced to 16 grams and sodium is 577 mg.