Curry Turkey Dish with Pineapple Rice
- CKD non-dialysis
3/4-cup curry mixture and 1/2-cup rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium tomato paste
- 2-1/2 cups water (divided use)
- 2 cups zucchini, sliced 1/4” thick
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups cooked turkey, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup drained pineapple tidbits, canned in its own juice
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice (drained from the canned pineapple)
Sauté onions in olive oil until soft.
Mix all of the spices together and stir in the tomato paste.
Stir spice mixture into the onions in the pan.
Mix in 1-1/4 cups water and simmer for a couple of minutes.
Stir in zucchini, peas and turkey.
Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
Mix together the pineapple, rice, pineapple juice and remaining 1-1/4 cups water in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
Serve curry dish over pineapple rice.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 307
- Protein 25 g
- Carbohydrates 37 g
- Fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 53 mg
- Sodium 179 mg
- Potassium 630 mg
- Phosphorus 248 mg
- Calcium 74 mg
- Fiber 4.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 starch
- 1/2 fruit, medium potassium
- This recipe is a great way to use leftover turkey.
- Pork or chicken can be substituted for turkey.