Easy Turkey Sloppy Joes
- CKD non-dialysis
1/6 recipe on 1 hamburger bun
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey, 7% fat
- 1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash® Chicken Grilling Blend seasoning
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- 6 hamburger buns
Chop onion and bell pepper.
Place in a large skillet with turkey and cook over medium high heat until turkey is cooked through. Do not drain.
In a small bowl, mix together the Mrs. Dash® seasoning, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce.
Add seasonings to the turkey mixture. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Divide into 6 portions and serve on hamburger buns.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 290
- Protein 24 g
- Carbohydrates 28 g
- Fat 9 g
- Cholesterol 58 mg
- Sodium 288 mg
- Potassium 513 mg
- Phosphorus 237 mg
- Calcium 86 mg
- Fiber 1.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- Lean ground beef may be substituted for ground turkey. Drain the fat after browning the beef in preparation step one.
- To save time, use frozen chopped onions and bell pepper.
- For a lower-protein diet, reduce turkey to 1 pound or portion can be adjusted according to your diet plan.