Pineapple Glazed Crock-pot® Chicken Thighs
- CKD non-dialysis
1 chicken thigh with 1/3 cup sauce over 1/2 cup rice
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 ounce canned pineapple tidbits in unsweetened juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco® sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons green onions
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken thighs with pepper and garlic powder.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet and cook 2-3 minutes on each side, until browned.
- Transfer chicken to a 4-quart crock pot® coated with cooking spray.
- Drain pineapple juice in a measuring cup. If less than 1 cup, add water to make 1 cup. Stir the juice into skillet drippings, and scrape to loosen browned chicken bits. Remove from heat, and stir in brown sugar, soy sauce and Tabasco sauce. Add 1 cup of the pineapple chunks. Pour mixture over chicken thighs in crock pot. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 3 hours.
- Remove chicken from crock pot and turn heat to high setting. Combine cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Stir into sauce in the crock pot. Cook 2 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add green onions and stir to coat.
- Serve each chicken thigh over 1/2 cup rice.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 373
- Protein 24 g
- Carbohydrates 40 g
- Fat 13 g
- Cholesterol 77 mg
- Sodium 283 mg
- Potassium 340 mg
- Phosphorus 202 mg
- Calcium 28 mg
- Fiber 0.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1-1/2 starch
- Sauce may not thicken in the Crock-pot if the temperature is not high enough. If not thickened after 2-3 minutes pour sauce into a sauce pan and heat over medium heat, stirring until thickened. Add back to crock-pot with chicken and pineapple.
- Chicken thighs vary in size and weight. We made this recipe using a 1-1/2 pound package of six boneless, skinless chicken thighs, about 4 ounces each uncooked. For a lower protein diet cut the chicken thighs in half ( 2 ounces) or use smaller thighs if available.
- There will be approximately 1 cup of pineapple tidbits left. Eat as a snack or dessert the next day or try another pineapple recipe.