Slow Rotisserie-style Chicken
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 pound whole chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 large-size oven roasting bag
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Shake flour into roasting bag.
- Put half the onion slices in the chicken cavity.
- Place the bag in a roasting pan and add remaining onion slices. Place the chicken on top of the onion.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Close the bag according to package directions and slit the bag in 6 places.
- Bake for 2 hours or until thermometer reads 165° F.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10–15 minutes; carefully open bag. Remove contents to a serving dish and pour sauce into a gravy bowl.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 170
- Protein 22 g
- Carbohydrates 4 g
- Fat 6 g
- Cholesterol 64 mg
- Sodium 132 mg
- Potassium 243 mg
- Phosphorus 175 mg
- Calcium 20 mg
- Fiber 0.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- Instead of poultry season try a tablespoon of combined fresh thyme, oregano, marjoram, or several sprigs rosemary. If using fresh herbs place some in the cavity and some between the skin of the chicken and the breast meat.
- Add peeled carrots and celery to bag, if desired.
- The whole fresh or frozen chicken does not have phosphate additives frequently found in store-roasted chicken.
- For a lower or higher protein diet adjust the portion to match your meal plan.