Sweet and Sour Chicken
- CKD non-dialysis
1 cup chicken plus 1/2 cup rice
- 8 ounces canned pineapple chunks, juice-packed
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-1/2 cups cooked white rice
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and place in a saucepan.
- Add reserved pineapple juice, broth, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce and garlic. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add vegetables and pineapple. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cornstarch and water. Gradually stir into hot mixture. Continue to cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Serve over white rice.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 310
- Protein 24 g
- Carbohydrates 47 g
- Fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 57 mg
- Sodium 270 mg
- Potassium 420 mg
- Phosphorus 211 mg
- Calcium 43 mg
- Fiber 1.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- Substitute Splenda® brown sugar blend if desired to reduce carbohydrate content. Add after mixture is thickened with cornstarch.
- Substitute 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder for fresh garlic if desired.
- Replace chicken with pork or shrimp for more variety.