Turkey Stuffed Cabbage
- CKD non-dialysis
1 cup or 1/6th cabbage
- 1 medium-head green cabbage
- 12 ounces ground turkey, 7% fat
- 3 ounces turkey sausage
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® extra spicy herb seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Remove core from cabbage and cut out 3 cups of cabbage from the inside to make a cavity for stuffing.
- Combine turkey, sausage, onion, bell pepper, Worcestershire sauce and herb seasoning in a bowl. Mix well then stuff into cabbage.
- Insert 4 to 5 toothpicks around outside of cabbage to anchor it. Place with stuffed end up into a deep, ovenproof pot.
- Pour 1/2-cup water into bottom of pot, cover with a lid and bake 45 minutes or until ground turkey temperature reaches 175° F.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before cutting into 6 equal servings.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 151
- Protein 15 g
- Carbohydrates 7 g
- Fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 46 mg
- Sodium 194 mg
- Potassium 442 mg
- Phosphorus 168 mg
- Calcium 50 mg
- Fiber 2.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- Make coleslaw out of the leftover cabbage that was removed to make the cavity for the turkey stuffing.
- Select spicy hot turkey sausage for more flavor.
- Sausage is higher in sodium and phosphorus that many other meats. When used in small amounts, it may be included in recipes that meet the goals of a kidney diet.
- Divide leftover sausage into 1-1/2-ounce portions and freeze for later use.