Turkey Stuffed Green Peppers
- CKD non-dialysis
- 8 large green peppers
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Remove stems from peppers and clean seeds and membranes from inside.
Mix turkey, rice, egg, onion, garlic and seasonings well.
Stuff peppers with meat mixture.
Place peppers in a large roaster.
Pour crushed tomatoes and broth over peppers
Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 221
- Protein 26 g
- Carbohydrates 9 g
- Fat 9 g
- Cholesterol 96 mg
- Sodium 292 mg
- Potassium 565 mg
- Phosphorus 270 mg
- Calcium 42 mg
- Fiber 2.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 vegetables, medium potassium
- Use ground turkey breast for the leanest possible filling, but lean ground beef and lean ground pork tenderloin are also heart-healthy fillings.
- If you are not on a potassium restricted diet, use a 16-oz. can of crushed tomatoes.
- Make a double batch and freeze individual peppers for an easy meal when you don’t feel like cooking.
- Stuffed peppers are ubiquitous throughout Central and Eastern Europe. Seasoning and what type of meat with which they are stuffed vary not only from region to region, but within regions. Some use 100% ground beef, others use 100% ground pork, and others use a mixture.
- For a lower protein diet you can use one pound of turkey and increase the rice to 3 cups.