- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 box angel food cake mix
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 2 tablespoons water*
- nonstick cooking spray
- In a large plastic bag with a zip lock, pour in angel food cake mix and lemon (or other flavor) cake mix. With the plastic bag sealed, mix the two dry cake mixes together. Use mix to make a single cupcake or a whole batch by following steps 2 through 6.
- Spray a small custard dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Measure 3 tablespoons of the dry cake mix and place into a greased custard dish.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water and mix with a small fork.
- Place in the microwave and cook on high for one minute.
- Slip cupcake out of the custard dish. Cool one minute before enjoying.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 97
- Protein 1 g
- Carbohydrates 21 g
- Fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 163 mg
- Potassium 17 mg
- Phosphorus 80 mg
- Calcium 21 mg
- Fiber 0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1/2 high calorie
- *Add 2 tablespoons water for each cupcake.
- If desired, may frost with cool whip or a glaze after cupcake is completely cooled.
- One of the cake mixes must be angel food cake. Strawberry cake mix can be substituted for lemon.
- Store dry cake mix in an air-tight container.
- The name 3-2-1 Cupcake indicates 3 tablespoons cake mix, 2 tablespoons water and 1 minute in the microwave.
- The baking powder in cake mix adds to sodium and phosphorus content. If you take phosphate binders to help control phosphorus, ask your dietitian if you need to take a binder with a cupcake snack.