Anise and Orange Biscotti
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons anise seed
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix first five dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir well.
- Place eggs, oil, and extract in a small bowl and beat until frothy, either by hand with a whisk or with an electric mixer for about 30 seconds.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon until dough is mixed. Can use low speed on a mixer for about 1 minute.
- Place dough on a lightly floured board and shape into a ball. Cut in half.
- Roll each half into a log approximately 12" long. Flatten top slightly.
- Place dough on cookie sheet and bake until lightly golden, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Use a bread knife or other serrated knife and slice at approximately 3/4" intervals to get 18 biscotti per half of dough.
- Place sliced biscotti back on cookie sheet with cut side up and bake until lightly golden, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from oven, turn biscotti over and bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a rack.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 98
- Protein 2 g
- Carbohydrates 18 g
- Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 12 mg
- Sodium 45 mg
- Potassium 26 mg
- Phosphorus 76 mg
- Calcium 43 mg
- Fiber 0.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- Store up to 2 weeks in an airtight container or freeze.
- Traditional biscotti are made with just anise seed; however, today, there are many “gourmet” versions with various dried fruits and/or nuts. Keep in mind that nuts are high in phosphorus and potassium; however, a reduced amount can be added.
- For cranberry-orange-pistachio biscotti, omit the anise and add 1 cup dried cranberries and 1/4 cup finely chopped unsalted pistachios.
- For blueberry biscotti, omit the anise seed and orange rind, substitute 2 teaspoons vanilla extract for the orange extract and add 3/4 cup dried blueberries.