- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/4 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1-1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup almonds, ground
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Beat egg whites to a stiff peak.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, white and brown sugar, almonds, lemon juice lemon zest and cinnamon; fold in the egg whites and mix until crumbly. Add water and mix.
- Form dough into a ball, cover, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a baking sheet.
- Divide chilled dough into 4 pieces. Dust hands with flour and roll out each piece into a 1″ thick rope (about 12″ long). Cut each rope into 2″ sections and roll until 1/2″ thick and about the size of a finger.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Let cool then roll in powdered sugar to coat.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 190
- Protein 3 g
- Carbohydrates 38 g
- Fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 12 mg
- Potassium 87 mg
- Phosphorus 45 mg
- Calcium 24 mg
- Fiber 1.1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- Cookies will be hard and crunchy when cooled
- Recommended portion for a diabetes diet is one cookie (16 g carbohydrate).