Carrot Pie with Crumb Topping
- CKD non-dialysis
1/10th of pie
- 9-inch unbaked pie crust
- 4 cups fresh carrot slices
- 1-1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups liquid non-dairy creamer
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Set butter out to soften.
- Place crust in a 10-inch pie plate and crimp edges.
- Place carrots in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring water to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes once water is boiling. Drain and cool.
- In a blender, blend cooled carrots, non-dairy creamer, 3/4 cup brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and spices. Process until pureed and smooth with no visible carrot chunks. Pour into unbaked pie crust.
- For crumble topping, combine oatmeal, flour and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar. Cut in butter or margarine until well incorporated (fingers work well for this). Sprinkle crumb topping over filling.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle of the pie comes out clean. (There should be no pie filling, but there may be some of the crumb topping on the knife.) Cover pie edges for the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning, if necessary. Cool prior to serving. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 370
- Protein 4 g
- Carbohydrates 51 g
- Fat 16 g
- Cholesterol 56 mg
- Sodium 214 mg
- Potassium 236 mg
- Phosphorus 94 mg
- Calcium 62 mg
- Fiber 2.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1-1/2 high calorie
- Crumble topping can be omitted to decrease carbohydrates and calories, if desired.
- You can serve this pie as a ‘mock’ pumpkin pie. Carrots are approximately 50% lower in potassium than pumpkin.
- Fun decorating tip: Lightly hold a pumpkin cookie cutter on top of unbaked filling and sprinkle crumb topping around cookie cutter leaving a pumpkin design.
- Brooke uses Pillsbury® rolled pie crust.