Easy Low Phosphorus Fudge
- CKD non-dialysis
one 3" x 1-1/2" piece
- 2/3 cup liquid nondairy creamer
- 1-2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups minature marshmallows
- 1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine nondairy creamer and sugar in a large heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Stir constantly and continue a rolling boil for 5 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and add marshmallows, chocolate chips and vanilla. Stir until marshmallows are melted.
Quickly pour into a greased 9" square pan. Cool; cut into 3" x 1-1/2" pieces, making 18 pieces.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 172
- Protein 0 g
- Carbohydrates 32 g
- Fat 6 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 8 mg
- Potassium 48 mg
- Phosphorus 20 mg
- Calcium 6 mg
- Fiber 0.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- Grease pan with butter or margarine before starting.
- Let fudge cool completely before cutting
- Nondairy creamers differ in composition and name around the country. Ask your dietitian to recommend the brand lowest in potassium and phosphorus.
- For diabetics, cut fudge into 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" pieces and count as one carbohydrate choice.