Kay’s Strawberry Pie
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 pie shell, 9" size
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 small box strawberry Jell-O® mix
- 8 ounces Cool Whip® frozen dessert topping, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1-1/2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- Prepare and bake pie shell. Let cool.
- Combine cream cheese together with powdered sugar and blend until smooth. Set mixture aside.
- Cook granulated sugar, cornstarch and 1/2-cup water in saucepan on low to medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Add dry Jell-O® and stir until dissolved. Set mixture aside to cool.
- Whip almond flavoring into Cool Whip® and set aside.
- Spread cream cheese mixture in bottom and around sides of pie shell.
- Top with strawberries.
- Spoon Jell-O® mixture on top of strawberries. Top with Cool Whip®.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 400
- Protein 4 g
- Carbohydrates 50 g
- Fat 20 g
- Cholesterol 31 mg
- Sodium 196 mg
- Potassium 101 mg
- Phosphorus 60 mg
- Calcium 36 mg
- Fiber 1.1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1/2 fruit, medium potassium
- 4 fat
- 1 high calorie
- Fan strawberry slices in center of pie for decoration.
- For diabetics, reduce carbohydrate by substituting artificial sweetener for granulated sugar and use sugar-free gelatin. Total carbohydrate is reduced to 30 grams (2 carbohydrate choices) and calories are reduced to 320.