Kay’s Strawberry Pie
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 pie shell, 9" size
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups no sugar added or natural fruit strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (such as Knox® unflavored gelatin)
- 1/2 pound fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Bake pie shell according to directions. Let cool. Slice fresh strawberries and set aside.
Combine cream cheese together with powdered sugar and blend until smooth. Set mixture aside.
Combine lemon juice, water, and gelatin in a small bowl. Let stand until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Put strawberry jam into a large saucepan. Stir gelatin mixture and 1/2 cup of sugar into the jam. Simmer about 2 minutes. Let cool. Once cool, fold in fresh strawberries.
For the whipped cream, place bowl and whisk in freezer for 10-15 minutes. Put 2 tablespoons sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla into bowl and whip until stiff. (Can be done with a hand-mixer, stand mixer, or by hand.)
Spread cream cheese mixture in bottom and around sides of pie shell.
Top with strawberry mixture and let set for 4 hours, refrigerated. Add homemade whipped cream when ready to serve.