Key Lime Pie Poke Cake
- CKD non-dialysis
- In a medium pan, combine pudding mix, rice milk, lime zest and food coloring. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Refrigerate to chill.
- Heat oven to 350° F (325° F for dark or nonstick pan). Spray bottom only of a 9" x 13" baking pan with baking flour.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, water, egg whites and oil with an electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. With handle of wooden spoon (1/4" to 1/2" diameter), poke holes almost to bottom of cake every 1/2 inch, wiping spoon handle occasionally to reduce sticking.
- Remove pudding mixture from refrigerator and set aside 1-1/2 cups to add to icing. Pour remaining filling mixture over cake. Spread over cake surface, working back and forth to fill holes. Some filling should remain on the top of the cake. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Mix frosting and reserved filling in a bowl and whip together. Frost cake and garnish with lime peel.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 240
- Protein 2 g
- Carbohydrates 42 g
- Fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 242 mg
- Potassium 53 mg
- Phosphorus 80 mg
- Calcium 24 mg
- Fiber 0.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 fat
- 1 high calorie
- In addition to grated lime peel you can garnish with fresh strawberries, lemon leaves and key lime slices.
- Store cake loosely covered in the refrigerator.
- If baking spray is unavailable, grease bottom of pan with oil or cooking spray and dust with flour.
- Instant pudding mix is very high in phosphorus. Do not substitute.