- CKD non-dialysis
1/8 of 9" pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, separate yolks and whites
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pie shell, 9" size, unbaked
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Beat sugar and butter until creamed. Add beaten egg yolks and stir.
- Add flour, lemon peel, lemon juice and milk. Stir to mix.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry, until peaks form. Fold egg whites into lemon mixture and mix gently—do not over mix.
- Pour filling into pie shell and bake at 450° F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325° F and continue baking for 20 minutes, or until filling sets and top is golden brown.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 263
- Protein 4 g
- Carbohydrates 37 g
- Fat 11 g
- Cholesterol 62 mg
- Sodium 168 mg
- Potassium 81 mg
- Phosphorus 65 mg
- Calcium 47 mg
- Fiber .4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 2 fat
- 1 high calorie
- Due to high carbohydrate content, people with diabetes are advised to reduced the portion to 1/2-piece of recommended serving size.