Mandarin Orange Jell-O® Pie
- CKD non-dialysis
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 small box orange sugar-free Jell-O® mix
- 1 cup cold diet ginger ale
- 11 ounces canned mandarin oranges in light syrup, drained
- 14 graham crackers (2-1/2” x 5” pieces)
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup Splenda® No Calorie Sweetner, granulated
- 1/2 cup Cool Whip® frozen dessert topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Boil water for filling. Add Jell-O® and stir until completely dissolved.
- Stir in cold water or diet ginger ale.
- Refrigerate filling until partially set and then add mandarin oranges. While gelatin is setting, make crust.
- Crush graham crackers.
- Stir in melted margarine and Splenda®.
- Pat into a 9" pie pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let crust cool.
- While crust is cooling, add Cool Whip to gelatin mixture.
- Spoon gelatin mixture into crust and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until completely set.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to eat, then cut into 8 pieces and serve.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 124
- Protein 2 g
- Carbohydrates 20 g
- Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 140 mg
- Potassium 55 mg
- Phosphorus 56 mg
- Calcium 1 mg
- Fiber 0.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1/2 high calorie
- 1/2 fat
- When preparing the pie filling, use cold water or diet ginger ale, but not juice.
- For variety try different gelatin flavors along with fruit that is low in potassium.