Mary’s 'Bada Bing' Cherry Pie
- CKD non-dialysis
- 16 ounces canned cherries, in juice, pitted
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 14 tablespoons unsalted tub margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- Drain juice from cherries into a measuring cup. Add water to make one cup.
- Stir sugar and cornstarch together in a medium saucepan. Gradually add the cherry juice.
- Heat juice mixture over medium heat until it starts to thickened. Add reserved cherries and reheat until filling starts to bubbles. Set aside to cool. Prepare crust.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut tablespoons margarine into flour with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture forms pieces the size of peas.
- Stir in ice cold water just until a ball forms. Let rest in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 ºF.
- Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll half the dough to fit an 8” or 9” round pie pan. Place pie crust in pan and add cherry filling. Roll out second half of dough and place over top of pie.
- Crimp edges of pie to seal. Cut slits in crust. Brush crust with a small amount of milk or egg to help brown. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until crust is brown and cherries begin to bubble.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 377
- Protein 4 g
- Carbohydrates 46 g
- Fat 20 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 78 mg
- Potassium 105 mg
- Phosphorus 37 mg
- Calcium 14 mg
- Fiber 1.4 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1-1/2 starch
- 3-1/2 fat
- 1/2 high calorie
- Diabetics can substitute Splenda® granular sweetener for sugar. Carbohydrate is reduced to 31 grams and carbohydrate choices equal 2.
- Adjust sugar depending on tartness of cherries.
- Nutrient analysis includes 3/4-cup sugar added to cherries.