More Momma's Blackberry Mountain Pie
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups blackberries
- 13 tablespoons sugar (divided use)
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup Rice Dream® Original Rice Drink
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- While oven is still preheating, place butter in a 2-quart baking dish, and pop into oven until butter is completely melted. (Don’t forget to remove from oven once butter has finished melting.)
- As butter is melting, combine blackberries and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a small bowl.
- Mix together flour, salt, baking powder and remaining 12 tablespoons (3/4 cup) sugar in another small bowl.
- Add Rice Dream® to flour mixture and stir well.
- Pour batter into the baking dish with the melted butter, and top with fruit mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 320
- Protein 4 g
- Carbohydrates 49 g
- Fat 12 g
- Cholesterol 28 mg
- Sodium 222 mg
- Potassium 186 mg
- Phosphorus 91 mg
- Calcium 65 mg
- Fiber 5.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1 starch
- 2 fat
- 1 high calorie
- You can substitute any other low-potassium fruit, such as blueberries, strawberries or mixed berries.
- Be sure to purchase rice milk that does not contain phosphorus additives. Rice Dream Original Rice Drink®, unenriched is a great choice, as it is additive-free and tastes great.
- For diabetics, use Splenda® granular sweetener instead of sugar to decrease calories to 245 and carbohydrate to 27 grams per serving.