Pavlova with Strawberries
- CKD non-dialysis
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces Cool-Whip® frozen dessert topping, thawed
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 300º F.
- Beat egg whites with salt at high speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Gently fold in vinegar and vanilla.
- Smooth mixture into an 8” round, ungreased cookie sheet or pizza pan. Smooth top.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Turn off oven and let shell set for 1 hour with oven door shut. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Fill pavlova shell with whipped topping and sliced berries on top.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 310
- Protein 3 g
- Carbohydrates 61 g
- Fat 6 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 108 mg
- Potassium 156 mg
- Phosphorus 21 mg
- Calcium 14 mg
- Fiber 1.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 meat
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 2 high calorie
- When beating egg whites, start on low to medium speed until half whipped. At this point add pinch of salt or cream of tartar and increase mixer to high speed. The result is whipped whites that are more stable and take less time to whip.
- Not recommended for people with diabetes due to high carbohydrate content.