Red, White and Blue Salad
- CKD non-dialysis
2-1/4” x 2” piece
- 1 small box blueberry gelatin
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 small box strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup frozen strawberries, partly thawed
- Prepare blueberry gelatin according to package directions.
- Pour gelatin into 13” x 9” x 2” glass baking dish, refrigerate until set.
- In a medium bowl, beat together whipping cream and sugar.
- Add cream cheese and beat until smooth. Stir in pecans.
- Dissolve unflavored gelatin in 1/2 cup water. Blend into cream cheese mixture.
- Pour mixture over set blueberry gelatin. Refrigerate until set.
- Dissolve strawberry gelatin in 1 cup hot water. Add partially thawed strawberries with juice.
- Pour strawberry mixture over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate until set.
- Cut into 2-1/4” x 2” pieces.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 168
- Protein 2 g
- Carbohydrates 18 g
- Fat 10 g
- Cholesterol 23 mg
- Sodium 52 mg
- Potassium 51 mg
- Phosphorus 35 mg
- Calcium 12 mg
- Fiber 0.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 high-calorie
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 2 fat
- For a change in flavor, you could use blackberry flavored gelatin instead of blueberry; raspberry flavored gelatin instead of strawberry; and frozen raspberries instead of strawberries.
- Pecans and other nuts are high in phosphorus and potassium. Each serving of this dessert contains 4 pecan halves, and remains low in phosphorus and potassium when consumed in the suggested portion. You could reduce the pecans to 1/2 cup or even omit from the recipe for a very low phosphorus, low potassium dessert. For a lower sugar version use sugar-free gelatin and sugar substitute instead of sugar.