St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1-1/2 cup granulated sugar (divided use)
- 1 cup butter (divided use)
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup liquid non-dairy creamer (such as Coffee Rich®)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a bowl, mix 1 cup flour and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture looks like fine crumbs and starts to cling together.
- Pat into the bottom of an ungreased 9 x 9 x 2" baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat 1-1/4 cups sugar and 3/4 cup butter with electric mixer until combined. Beat in corn syrup and eggs.
- Alternately add remaining 1 cup flour and non-dairy creamer, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. (Batter may look slightly curdled.)
- Pour batter over crust, spreading evenly to edges of pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until nearly firm when shaken.
- Cool in pan on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar when cool.
- Cut into 12 squares and serve.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 383
- Protein 4 g
- Carbohydrates 49 g
- Fat 19 g
- Cholesterol 96 mg
- Sodium 143 mg
- Potassium 48 mg
- Phosphorus 55 mg
- Calcium 16 mg
- Fiber 0.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 2 high calorie
- 4 fat
- For a special topping, add some berries or other low potassium sliced fruit and a dollop of whipped topping.