- CKD non-dialysis
- 3 cups strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 10 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup pasteurized egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipped topping
- Wash and hull fresh strawberries. Reserve three strawberries cut into halves for garnish.
- Place berries in a food processor and puree. Pour puree into a mixing bowl and stir in 4 tablespoons of sugar. Set aside.
- Place egg whites in a clean mixing bowl. Beat to soft peaks.
- Gradually add 6 tablespoons of sugar to egg whites until they are stiff and glossy.
- Fold the strawberry puree and vanilla into the egg whites Put the mixture in a glass bowl and chill.
- Just before serving, spoon whipped topping over top of mousse.
- Decorate with reserved strawberry halves.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 142
- Protein 4 g
- Carbohydrates 27 g
- Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 51 mg
- Potassium 165 mg
- Phosphorus 23 mg
- Calcium 14 mg
- Fiber 1.5 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 meat
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1/2 high calorie
- Reduce carbohydrate to 20 grams per serving (1-1/2 carb choice) by substituting Splenda® granular sweetener for 4 tablespoons sugar added to the berries.
- Egg whites contribute approximately 3-1/2 grams high quality protein per serving.