- CKD non-dialysis
1/8 of pie
- 1 unbaked pie shell, 9” size
- 4 cups strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 tablespoons nondairy topping (optional)
- Bake pie shell as directed on package. Set aside to cool.
- Mash 2 cups of the strawberries and combine with sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Place ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture is thick and clear. Let cool.
- Slice remaining strawberries and add to cooled mixture.
- Pour into cooled pie shell. Cover and place in refrigerator until chilled.
Serve with non-dairy whipped topping if desired.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 212
- Protein 1 g
- Carbohydrates 40 g
- Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 15 mg
- Sodium 104 mg
- Potassium 141 mg
- Phosphorus 24 mg
- Calcium 20 mg
- Fiber 2.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 fruit, medium potassium
- 1 high calorie
- 1 fat
- Due to the high carbohydrate content, a half portion is recommended if you have diabetes. Sugar substitutes can be used to replace sugar in many recipes. Check with your dietitian for adjustments to recipes or serving size based on your individual carbohydrate requirements.
- If sugar substitute is used instead of sugar, carbohydrate is reduced to 20 grams, carbohydrate choices are reduced to one.