Tropical Ice Cream Sandwiches
One 2-1/2” x 2-1/2” square
- 30 graham cracker squares
- 15 ounces canned crushed pineapple in juice
- 8 packets Splenda® No Calorie Sweetener
- 1-1/2 cups Procel® protein powder
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- 1 packet envelope Knox® unflavored gelatin
- Line a 13” x 9-1/2” baking pan with plastic wrap allowing at least 10” to hang on both sides of pan.
- Arrange 15 graham cracker squares in the pan and set aside.
- Drain pineapple and reserve 1/2 cup of pineapple juice.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix crushed pineapple, Splenda® and Procel®, until there are no lumps.
- Fold in whipped topping then set aside. (The folding motion keeps whipped topping airy and light.)
- In a small saucepan, boil 1/2-cup pineapple juice. Add 1 packet of unflavored Knox® gelatin. Mix until dissolved then remove from heat.
- Lightly fold in gelatin mixture with the whipped topping mixture.
- Pour mixture evenly over the graham crackers.
- Top mixture with remaining 15 graham cracker squares.
- Put plastic wrap from the sides of the pan over the graham crackers. Cover with aluminum foil and seal well. Freeze overnight or at least 6 hours.
- After freezing, cut into fifteen 2-1/2” x 2-1/2” pieces and serve.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 154
- Protein 7 g
- Carbohydrates 19 g
- Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 98 mg
- Potassium 85 mg
- Phosphorus 44 mg
- Calcium 43 mg
- Fiber .6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1 starch
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- Put leftover individual sandwiches into zip-locking style freezer bags for easy storage and serving.