Turon (Filipino Banana Rolls)
- CKD non-dialysis
- 8 lumpia wrappers
- 3 medium-sized ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar to dust (optional)
- Peel and cut bananas into pieces to fit lumpia wrappers.
- Roll banana pieces in sugar to coat.
- Roll up sugared bananas in lumpia wrappers. Fold over the corners of wrapper and press down firmly to seal.
- Brush with beaten egg to seal edges of wrappers.
- Heat oil in a wok to 350-375°F.
- Place 4 turon in the hot oil, frying until crisp and golden (approx. 5-7 minutes).
- Remove turon from wok with a spatula or tongs and place on paper towels to drain. Fry remaining turon.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired and serve hot.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 243
- Protein 4 g
- Carbohydrates 41 g
- Fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 11 mg
- Sodium 60 mg
- Potassium 182 mg
- Phosphorus 29 mg
- Calcium 18 mg
- Fiber 1.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 fruit, medium potassium
- 1 fat
- 1/2 high calorie
- Lumpia wrappers are a thin pastry made from flour or cornstarch, eggs and water. Look for them at any Asian grocery store. If unavailable, substitute egg roll wrappers.
- Plantains can be substituted for the bananas if a potassium restricted diet is not required.
- Limit to only one portion to keep potassium in control. Each turon contains 1/3 of a medium-sized banana.