Arroz con Gandules (Rice with Pigeon Peas)
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Sofrito
- 1 teaspoon Bijol® annotto powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 chicken-flavor bouillon cube
- 3/4 cup canned pigeon peas
- 2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- Drain and rinse pigeon peas. Mince garlic.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan.
- Add Sofrito, Bijol® powder, tomato paste, garlic, oregano, bouillon cube and pigeon peas.
- Stir fry for approximately 3 to 4 minutes to seal in juices.
- In large sauce pan, prepare rice following the recipe on the package, omitting salt.
- Mix rice in with the ingredients in large saucepan and serve.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 204
- Protein 5 g
- Carbohydrates 41 g
- Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 68 mg
- Potassium 152 mg
- Phosphorus 77 mg
- Calcium 25 mg
- Fiber 2.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2-1/2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
For more protein add one-cup chopped chicken. Adds 4 grams of protein per serving. Use half a rotisserie chicken with the skin and bones removed to save time.
Bijol®, a brand name for achiote or annotto powder, gives a yellow-orange color to the rice. It is a replacement for saffron. If unavailable, substitute yellow food coloring or equal parts paprika and turmeric.
Frozen or dried cooked pigeon peas may be substituted for canned peas.