Baked Cauliflower and Broccoli Mac-n-Cheese
- CKD non-dialysis
- 12 ounces penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups Rice Dream® Classic original rice drink
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup panko-style bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bring water to a boil. Add pasta and undercook by 2 minutes.
- In a separate covered pot, steam broccoli and cauliflower florets for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove and set aside. Discard liquid from pot.
- Finely chop onion and garlic clove.
- Using the same pot, over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter then add onion and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until tender. Add flour and whisk for one minute. Whisk in rice drink and season with pepper and nutmeg. Stir until thickened, then stir in the spicy mustard.
- Mix all three cheeses together. Add 2/3 of the combined cheeses to the sauce and stir until cheese is melted.
- Drain pasta. Add cauliflower and broccoli then stir in the cheese sauce.
- Spray a 9” x 12” baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and pour in the pasta mixture. Top with the remaining combined cheeses.
- Place baking pan in the oven on top of a baking sheet to catch bubble over. After 30 minutes of baking, increase heat to 400° F. Sauté remaining 1 tablespoon butter with 1 cup panko bread crumbs and add to top of casserole. Cook additional 8 to 10 minutes until bread crumbs are browned.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 442
- Protein 18 g
- Carbohydrates 52 g
- Fat 18 g
- Cholesterol 50 mg
- Sodium 308 mg
- Potassium 278 mg
- Phosphorus 315 mg
- Calcium 318 mg
- Fiber 2.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 3 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
- Steps 2 through 8 of this casserole can be done ahead of time. Cool completely, covered and refrigerated for a make-ahead meal.
- If desired, Gruyère cheese can be used in place of Swiss cheese.
- Rice Dream Classic original rice drink is low in phosphorus and potassium. Always read labels on milk substitute products and avoid those with phosphate additives.