Creamy Orzo and Vegetables
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small onion
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Finely chop garlic. Chop onion and zucchini. Shred carrots.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic, onion, zucchini and carrots for 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, chicken broth and salt; bring to a boil.
- Add orzo pasta and stir until mixture returns to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and pasta is al dente.
- Add cheese, chopped parsley and the frozen peas. Heat until the vegetables are hot, adding a bit more broth if necessary to maintain creaminess. Add pepper to taste.