- CKD non-dialysis
- 12 ounces fettuccini, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1 garlic clove
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup nondairy creamer
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Mince garlic and slice red bell pepper.
- Cook fettuccini according to package directions, omitting the salt. Drain and set aside.
- Melt margarine in a medium saucepan. Add garlic and red bell pepper. Sauté 1 to 2 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Slowly stir flour into the pan. Cook 1 minute until smooth.
- Add wine gradually, stirring until smooth.
- Add broth, nondairy creamer, parsley and black pepper. Stir to blend.
- Gradually add Parmesan cheese. Reduce heat to low and cook 5 to 7 minutes until mixture starts to simmer. Stir occasionally.
- Toss the sauce with the drained fettuccini.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 340
- Protein 10 g
- Carbohydrates 52 g
- Fat 10 g
- Cholesterol 3 mg
- Sodium 71 mg
- Potassium 186 mg
- Phosphorus 126 mg
- Calcium 65 mg
- Fiber 2.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- Increase garlic to 2 teaspoons if you are a garlic lover.
- Look for nondairy creamer without phosphate additives.
- Select trans fat-free margarine or use a combination of olive oil and butter.