Fresh Herb Cranberry Stuffing
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup celery
- 8 slices white bread
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, sweetened
- 1/2 cup liquid low-cholesterol egg substitute
- 1/4 cup giblet stock
- Chop onion and celery. Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Chop fresh herbs.
- Melt butter in a nonstick frying pan. Sauté onion and celery. Remove from heat.
- Toss in cubed bread, pepper, poultry seasoning, fresh herbs and cranberries.
- Mix egg product and giblet stock. Pour into bread mixture and mix lightly.
- Place the stuffing into the turkey body cavity and neck to cook.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 143
- Protein 4 g
- Carbohydrates 21 g
- Fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 20 mg
- Sodium 202 mg
- Potassium 106 mg
- Phosphorus 44 mg
- Calcium 61 mg
- Fiber 1.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 fat
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- For best results use day-old bread.
- If fresh herbs are unavailable substitute 1 teaspoon dried herbs.
- If desired, bake stuffing separately in a baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray at 350º F for 45 minutes.
- If giblet stock is unavailable substitute lo- sodium chicken broth.