Garlicky Penne Pasta with Asparagus
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco® hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces penne pasta, uncooked
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to instructions, omitting salt.
- Cut asparagus into 2" pieces. Mince garlic.
- In a medium skillet heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add asparagus, Tabasco sauce, lemon juice and black pepper to skillet and cook for 6 minutes until tender crisp.
- Drain pasta and transfer to a bowl. Add asparagus and toss.
- Top with shredded cheese and serve.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 216
- Protein 7 g
- Carbohydrates 29 g
- Fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 6 mg
- Sodium 70 mg
- Potassium 187 mg
- Phosphorus 115 mg
- Calcium 71 mg
- Fiber 2.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1 fat
- Thicker asparagus stalks may require longer cooking time.
- Add diced cooked chicken or shrimp to make an entrée dish.