Holushki Noodles and Cabbage
- CKD non-dialysis
- 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 1-1/4 cups white onion
- 1/3 cup water
- 8 ounces kluski noodles, uncooked
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Place shredded cabbage, onion and water in a large pan and steam over medium-low heat for an hour until tender. Stir frequently so cabbage does not stick. Add more water if needed.
Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain well.
When all liquid is evaporated from cabbage, add margarine. Toss and continue to cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
Season cabbage with black pepper.
Add noodles to mixture and blend. Heat over low heat until hot.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 167
- Protein 5 g
- Carbohydrates 23 g
- Fat 6 g
- Cholesterol 26 mg
- Sodium 75 mg
- Potassium 263 mg
- Phosphorus 67 mg
- Calcium 48 mg
- Fiber 2.9 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
- Substitute wide egg noodles if kluski noodles are unavailable.
- 8 ounces dry kluski noodles or wide egg noodles yields 3-1/2 cups cooked.
- Holushki is a recipe of Ukrainian origin.
- 1/2 medium cabbage head yields approximately 8 cups.
- Select a trans-fat free margarine.