Pasta with Cauliflower
- CKD non-dialysis
1 cup pasta with 1/2 cup cauliflower sauce
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 14 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 16 ounces linguine, uncooked
- 8 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Wash cauliflower and cut into bite-sized pieces. Finely chop onion and mince garlic.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until onion is transparent.
- Add cauliflower, black and red pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and allow cauliflower to cook until tender.
- Cook linguine according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain and return to the pot used to cook it. Add several spoonfuls of the broth from cauliflower mixture to linguine and toss to prevent sticking.
- Divide linguine into 8 individual servings and top with cauliflower and broth.
- Add 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese and more black and red pepper to taste.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 313
- Protein 10 g
- Carbohydrates 48 g
- Fat 6 g
- Cholesterol 4 mg
- Sodium 115 mg
- Potassium 354 mg
- Phosphorus 183 mg
- Calcium 78 mg
- Fiber 3.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2-1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
- Limit Parmesan cheese to 1 tablespoon per portion to keep phosphorus low.