Renal-safe Macaroni and Cheese
- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 cups elbow pasta
- 1 jar Kraft® Pimento Cheese spread made with cream cheese, 5-ounces
- 4 ounces canned Ortega® diced green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse and drain green chilies.
- Cook noodles in boiling water without salt or butter until the noodles are al dente.
- Drain noodles. While noodles are hot, add the pimento cheese spread and chilies.
- Stir until the cheese spread is melted into the noodles.
- Serve hot. Add pepper at the table for taste, if desired.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 196
- Protein 6 g
- Carbohydrates 25 g
- Fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 28 mg
- Sodium 227 mg
- Potassium 83 mg
- Phosphorus 74 mg
- Calcium 36 mg
- Fiber 1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- Elbow, shell or bowtie pasta are great choices for this recipe.
- For a higher protein variation, add browned and drained ground beef.
- Most cheese spreads are very high in sodium and phosphorus. The pimento spread in this recipe is made with cream cheese instead of processed cheese. (Look for the Philadelphia® brand cream cheese logo on the label). This is what keeps the sodium and phosphorus content low enough for a renal diet. Avoid bottled or canned spreads made with processed cheese.