Stephanie’s Wholesome Lasagna
- CKD non-dialysis
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1 small Roma tomato
- 1/2 cup Portabella mushroom
- 1/2 cup zucchini
- 1/2 cup kale
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oven ready lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven 375° F.
- Set cream cheese out to soften. Dice tomato. Slice mushroom and zucchini. Remove kale from stems and chop coarsely.
- Brown ground beef in a skillet. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine softened cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, 1 egg and 1/2-cup water. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine cooked ground beef, 1 egg, 1/4 cup water, garlic, basil and oregano. Mix with 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Sauté mushrooms and kale in remaining tablespoon olive oil.
- In an 11" x 7" pan, spread 1/4 of the ground beef mixture on bottom of pan. Top with 4 uncooked lasagna noodles. Spread half the cream cheese mixture, about 1/4-inch thick, over noodles.
- Layer zucchini, sautéed mushrooms, kale and remaining ground beef mixture evenly over noodles.
- Repeat noodle and cream cheese layer. Top with diced tomato. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for additional 10-15 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, cut into 8 portions and serve.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 487
- Protein 25 g
- Carbohydrates 45 g
- Fat 23 g
- Cholesterol 100 mg
- Sodium 214 mg
- Potassium 492 mg
- Phosphorus 242 mg
- Calcium 110 mg
- Fiber 2.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 3 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
- Lasagna is a great food to make and freeze for a later date. Consider doubling the recipe to make two batches at a time.
- To cook pre-made lasagna, preheat oven to 375° F and bake for 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Increase the amount of tomato, kale and zucchini if you do not need a low potassium diet.
- Adjust herbs to taste.