Beefy Pita Pockets
- CKD non-dialysis
one pita pocket, 3/4-cup beef and vegetables
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion
2 cups mushrooms
1 medium red bell pepper
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley
1 pound lean ground beef
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet® browning and seasoning sauce
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
6 pieces white pita bread
- Slice onion and mushrooms; slice bell pepper into 1/4" strips. Chop parsley.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper and mushroom. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Remove vegetables to a plate.
- Add beef to the skillet and cook until no trace of pink remains, 5 to 6 minutes. Spoon off and discard any fat.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, Kitchen Bouquet sauce and black pepper; stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add vegetables to the beef and stir to combine.
- Stir in the parsley and cook until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Warm pitas. Cut a 2" strip off the side of each pita and pull open.
- Fill each pita with the beef and vegetable mixture.
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 421
- Protein 21 g
- Carbohydrates 37 g
- Fat 21 g
- Cholesterol 57 mg
- Sodium 393 mg
- Potassium 443 mg
- Phosphorus 193 mg
- Calcium 102 mg
- Fiber 3.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 starch
- 2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
- Kitchen Bouquet® browning and seasoning sauce is a low-sodium seasoning that adds extra color and flavor to meat and vegetables.
- Compare pita brands and select the lowest sodium brand.